To earn the Chef Activity Badge, you must chose one of two options to complete. Review the requirements for both options and select the one which appeals to you most of all.
To complete option one, you will need to complete the following requirements:
- Plan a full, balanced menu for a group of Explorer Scouts or other people on a residential experience including all meals for at least four days
- Budget for the menu and assist with the shopping for ingredients
- Demonstrate proper storage and cooking including hygiene in the kitchen and how to prevent food poisoning
- Cook and serve the planned menu demonstrating preparation and serving skills
To complete option two, you will need to cost and bake all of the following from scratch. No packet mixes or pre-made ingedients are allowed to be used.
- Three different cakes, each at least 20cm in diameter using different icing or decoration techniques
- A sweet or savoury tart
- 12 iced and filled cupcakes
- 12 iced biscuits using the flooding method
- 12 scones
- A load of bread using yeast
- 12 flatbreads
You must additionally be able to show how planning and preparation can make baking easier. You must also exhibit high standards of hygiene.
You can gain two Chef Activity Badges. To do this, complete both options and you will earn a badge per-option.
Where applicable, badge requirements may be adapted or altered according to the abilities of a young person. Scout Association rules for adjustment can be found in the Policy and Approach article at the Scout Association website.