Before attempting the Caving Activity Badge, you should have been on at least four underground caving trips with an authorised party at two different cave systems. You should record a log for these trips. If you previously held the Scouts Caver Activity Badge you may skip these entry requirements.
To earn the Caving Activity Badge, you must achieve the following:
- Explain how caves are formed
- Rig and use a ladder pitch under supervision
- Complete two additional caving trips as part of an authorised party which include vertical pitch descent
- Know the cave conservation code and talk about measures that can be taken to promote conservation of formations and the environments
- Study an aspect of speleology and discuss your findings
Rules and Permits
You must ensure that you follow the rules in Chapter Nine of the Scout Association Policy, Organisation, and Rules (POR) and the Adventurous Activity Permit Scheme.
Where applicable, badge requirements may be adapted or altered according to the abilities of a young person. Scout Association rules for adjustment can be found in the Policy and Approach article at the Scout Association website.